02 August, 2008

Opportunities Pass With Flying Colors

Yesterday, August 1, 2008, we joined the battle of the bands held in Calinan, Davao City. It is a 40-minute travel time from downtown Davao. My band(Mestiza Band because when we play, we drink the mixed drink "Mestiza". A mixture of a hard drink, beer, and soda.) joined the battle of the bands and it was our first battle as a band because we just started to form it. I was pretty confident about the event because I have enough experience to join battles. But in the end, it did not turn out quite well. I have reasons for that and I will explain in one by one.


1. Wig. The wig is not anymore my friend when I play. Because I am the drummer of the band, I did not clearly see what I was hitting because the wig covered my face. I thought it would be fine because I see other drummers with long hair play. But, it is otherwise. I had a hard time hitting what I want to hit and because of that, I did not get the "beat" that I wanted to play.

2. Pants. My pants are cargo pants. You might ask why my pants are one of the reasons that I did not play so well. You see, when I step on the bass, there is this tendency that the head of the step of the bass(I can't explain it well but I hope you get the point) will get stuck inside the lower part of my pants near my shoes. I really can't picture it out but I do hope you get my point, again. So still, I could not get the "beat" I wanted to play.

3. The Mestiza itself. We had a drink before we played. Because I did not eat lunch at that day, my stomach was kind of empty at that moment. You know what happens when you drink without anything in your stomach right? The alcohol will amplify its effects and it really made a big difference in me when I played. Hannah(a friend of mine) said that I got drunk and I even sent things that is very unusual. All I remember was when I woke up in our service when we were going back home. Did I vomit before the trip? That I do not know.

4. Our place to play. You see, we are the first band to play. Anyone in a competition don't want to get first because it is the time of the adjustments in the sound system, the judges might forget about your performance because some bands played after us, and so on. Personally, I want us to play in the middle which means some few bands will play first before us but I don't want to be the last.


Everything was a mess. I was a mess. I was traumatized about what happened and I really made a promise to myself that if we have battles, I will not wear the wig, I will not wear those pants again, I will regulate my drinks, and I will demand for a random pick in the competition itself. I even dedicated that performance of mine to Hannah and it turned out bad. I really feel guilty and I hope and pray that it won't happen again.


Don't let opportunities pass you for you will realize that that opportunity will never go back again.


I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dripped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity. ~Hazel Lee

No comments: