10 August, 2008

What If The Filipinos Had ALIBATA?

It’s been bugging me for quite some time now and this question keeps repeating in my mind. What if the Filipinos had ALIBATA? To start off, ALIBATA is the ancient writings of the tribal Filipinos before. They consist of symbols with patterns and meanings. It’s basically dots and curve lines or something. All I know is that it’s ancient. (My history really sucks y’know?) ALIBATA before was written on bamboo and it is the means of communication of the Filipinos before. This was even used in schools before. The schools in the ancient times were held in the forests and students write their notes on bamboo using ALIBATA. I love my country. :)


But, what if the Filipinos maintained ALIBATA until today? What would happen? Would we be rich people? Would we be a much respected country? Would we be cool because we tend to write stuff using signs and symbols? Would we prosper?


To start off, I had this thought. The Japanese, the Chinese, and the Koreans have their own set of symbols that they use until today. I don’t know their history but I believe that these symbols date back a thousand years ago. Personally, it was the Chinese who started it all. You may ask why. I say that the Japanese got their kanji from the Chinese and the Koreans got their Korean symbols from the Japanese, I think. I am not sure. Anyway, the point is they lived with signs and symbols. So I thought, if the Filipinos had their ALIBATA, we could have the same lifestyle as these people. Do I make a good point?


If it weren’t for the Spaniards, we would have still used ALIBATA today. But, we were conquered by them. When Ferdinand Magellan arrived, they shot their cannons on their boats as a sign of respect and permission to land on the Philippine Islands. Because it was the Filipino’s first time to see cannons being shot, not to them but just away from the islands, they were amazed and the Filipinos back then thought that the gods were coming. So they welcomed them with open arms (and not with open legs. Duh!). Because Ferdinand Magellan took advantage of this belief, he ordered the Datus (leaders of the people) to give them food, water, and everything they need. You guessed it right. The Filipinos did what the Spaniards told them to do.

But, the fighting spirit of the Filipinos really did not fade. After some few years, the Filipinos revolted against the Spaniards and the Filipinos really want their freedom. So they fought with big knives, forks, and any stuff they could find that will hurt the Spaniards. But, they were still not victorious. The Spaniards had guns, cannons, and a disciplined army. The Filipinos can’t do anything so they were defeated. More years have passed and the revolution goes on until June 12, 1898. On this day, the Filipinos have declared their independence. But, it was too late. We were already speaking Spanish and we use alphabets to communicate, read, and etcetera. No more ALIBATA.


It’s sad to know that because of the Spaniards, the ALIBATA was lost. I reflected on this and I thought that it would be so cool to have the ALIBATA. Because I am a fan of the Japanese culture, I saw their television shows and every time the people talk, they have their kanji being posted on the screen to help the viewers understand what they’re saying. If we had retained ALIBATA, we could have our symbols posted on the screen when the famous people talk, don’t you think? Also, it will be very difficult for the foreigners to understand our own language because it is made up of symbols and if the foreigners really want to know our language, they could have a hard time and thus challenging them to learn.


If the Spaniards did not conquer us, they could have not taught siesta, a nap in the afternoon. If the Filipinos did not know siesta, we could have worked our butts off the attain perfection and discipline. Then, Juan Tamad would never have existed. We could have been rich, more hi-tech, more disciplined, and everything that is opposite of what we are now today. I don’t blame the Spaniards for conquering us because they were too curious of traveling to another place. I don’t blame them at all. (I am not being sarcastic.) If only the Filipinos did not think that the arrival of the Spaniards were “gods”, we could have been warriors today and maybe, undisciplined. We could have believed on Anito, the pagan god. Everything would not turn out as it used to be today.


But, it was our fate to be conquered. It was our fate to learn the alphabet. It was our fate to be like this and we have to live with it. We cannot change the past. We don’t have that kind of power. All we need to do now is to believe what we believe and fight for what is right. (Good rhymes, man! XD) We are a free people under law and we will celebrate this freedom. If you are a Filipino, look to the person on your right and ask him/her if he/she is a Filipino. If that person is a Filipino, hug them real tight and thank them for carrying the Filipino blood. Be proud, Pinoy!


I just thought that even the Indians have their own set of signs and languages and their status now is not really that good. I’m not mocking them. I’m just saying the inconvenient truth. Maybe if we retained the ALIBATA, we could have been like them too. I don’t know what to say but thanks for the conquerors for changing our way of life.


In the end, I surrender for the retention of ALIBATA but I do hope that you realized everything I have said. All I can say now is, live like a Filipino, breathe like a Filipino, and die like a Filipino. We carry the blood of our ancestors. It is now our time to make a change and make them proud. Let us put the ALIBATA to rest and let us keep it in our hearts. Filipinos are unique and I am so proud of it.


“Iaalay ko ang aking buhay, pangarap, pagsisikap sa bansang Pilipinas.” –excerpt from the Panatang Makabayan.

No comments: